2/4/10

Bad Mommy! Now, I need some advice.

Sorry, i'm a bad mommy for not keeping ya'll posted on Faith's latest accomplishments. Her personality just oozes from her now, and she will win you over with her big ole cheesy smile!

Fact is, I'm needing some advice from you on a few things...
  • When do I have to take her off her bottle? I have friends that have already completely taken away the bottle. Faith likes her bottle, and I like giving it to her...I'm not ready to give this up, but is there something I should know?

  • What's the best way to get rid of the dramatic "back bending" fits she throws? She does this when she's hungry or otherwise disgruntled. It's a bit much.

  • When did you start potty training with your kids, if you have any. When is too early? Reason I ask, Faith predictable goes tinkle every time she watches the tub fill up with water. She is now 13 months old. My mom suggested getting a potty and just letting her go at bath time. Any tips? Suggestions? Warnings?

Thanks for your input! I cherish your thoughts family and friends!

2 comments:

  1. I transitioned Clayton to a sippy cup a few months before he was a year old by using those cups that have a soft spout(but they are not spill proof). It isn't very hard for them to get out the liquid, so he took to it pretty easy. After a while, he started chewing on them, so I transitioned him to a sippy cup with a hard spout and he did fine. Kids seem to handle change easer when they are younger so you would be surprised how much easer it is to go ahead and transition them. I am amazed at how much easier it is to take care of Clayton now that he is feeding himself. The thing with the bottle is that eventually kids are not going to get enough nutrition to maintain a healthy metabolism. The goal is independence; that is with feeding, and potty trianing.

    I have Clayton a potty, but he gets mad about sitting on it, so I don't push it. A friend of mine started with her boy at about 18 months with the potty just letting him sit on it every morning with his sippy cup while his mom gets ready. Now he is 2 and pretty much potty trained. Remember every kid is different, but also, girls tend to mature faster than boys.

    As far as back bending fits, the problem is not the fit, it is why she is throwing the fit. I have been reading a few christian books about disciplining children in view of who God it. This doesn't focus on changing behavior, but teaching a child's heart. The cause of her fits are her wants and desires and in order to stop I think she is going to have to learn to "obey her parents in the Lord for this is right."

    I do not want to come across as someone who thinks she has it all figured it out. I can't let go of the pacifier, but I'm working on it. I just soak up anything and everything I can from other mothers. They have the experience. Clayton is really great at teaching me too!

    You are a great mother so don't be so hard on yourself! Love ya'll and I can't wait to see Faith and Clayton play together again. These kids are growing up way too fast!

    Melissa Rogers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am interested to hear the advice you get. let me know what you find out about dealing with fits. Oh, and my plan is is to take the bottle away shortly after she turns one. Tear. I am really sad about this and wondering how Cilla will adjust. I talked to one of my friends that I do playgroup with who is in my sunday school class about weaning kiddos of the bottle. Let's talk soon. I will tell you what she said!

    ReplyDelete